Popular Posts

Friday, August 24, 2012

More NBA 2K13 Progress

As October 2nd rapidly approaches, more and more exciting details about the new NBA 2K13 is released. This week, in addition to more developer insight from the 2K team, we also were blessed with a great, detailed impression video on Youtube by Chris Smoove (who you should follow after the game comes out. His videos are GREAT!). Here are the main things you need to know (Links below):

-Improved Triple Threat Moves: Patented triple threat moves were highlighted. You know how Kobe palms the ball and extends his arm behind him before making a move? That's in the game. Same for Paul Pierce's elbow. Jordan had some great triple threat moves as well, which I anticipate being in the game along with a plethora of others.

-Speed: NBA 2K took a step back from NBA 2K11 in this aspect. In NBA 2K11, I was able to drive past bigs at will with quick guards such as Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose, etc., but in NBA 2K12, if was difficult to pass them at the top of the key. That has been addressed in NBA 2K13. This is a welcome addition. A big man should be dominated on a switch off by a quick guard. It adds a little more realism to the game.

Collisions: There are a ton of new collision impact visuals in the game. For example, if you get hit in the head while going up for a layup, the player will grab his head to show that. That doesn't really affect the gameplay much, but it's a nice nuance to the game to add in some realism. A natural reaction to an elbow to the lip is to put your hand on your lip and look at it to check for blood.

Dribbling Off Feet: NO MORE DRIBBLING OFF SOMEONE ELSE'S FEET! This was a HUGE problem in NBA 2K12. There were many fast breaks of mine that were foiled by me dribbling the ball off of my own teammates heel because my player threw the ball in front of him. That is gone. Thankfully! Now I can run a fast break in peace!

Shot Clock: Was it me or did the AI tend to make a TON of ridiculous shots with 1 second left on the shot clock? I didn't think so. I hated playing 23 seconds of good D only for Blake Griffin to drain a contested 20 foot J on me. According to Smoove, the developers don't think there was any issues with the shot clock in 2K12, but regardless, it seems to be fixed. That right there was my biggest gripe about the last game. I really hope that that garbage is gone.

Sliders: Not much to say here. It has been said that there as some new sliders, but they weren't specified. I'd like to see what they are.

Also, the achievements for the game has been released. From looking at them, it appears that the Online Blacktop will be back. It seems like we will be able to use the historic teams online as well. More importantly, it insinuates that My Crew will make it return! For those that didn't play NBA 2K11, My Crew is essentially a online pickup game using your My Player. It's a fun way to play with, against your friends as well as level up your My Player. This is the most exciting new of all to me.

With just over five weeks left until the release date (and three to four weeks before the demo drops), we have a lot more information to look forward to. All in all, the game appears on track to becoming the greatest basketball game ever.

Links:
NBA 2K13 Developer Insight #2: http://youtu.be/n-HCtSinpLI
Chris Smoove's Impressions: http://youtu.be/uzp9mPqbkro
NBA 2K13 Achievement list: http://exophase.com/game/nba-2k13-xbox-360/achievements/

No comments:

Post a Comment